ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Im new to this, so what do I use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Im new to this, so what do I use? Reply with quote

So I joined just yesterday and viewing several sites I decided this one was awsome! I have always liked minis but never really owned any, zombie minis especially. I want to create a town that looks like the one the father makes off of the Beatle Juice movie, but a different looking town. How do I find all the things I need, mainly the grass since I will be using alot of it? I know exactly nothing really about minis but I am very creative and I am in school to be a videogame engineer and believe this will help me with the three zombie horror books that I am writing and my final horror game for college. Mark my words I will make THE BEST survival horror game in the world. The things that I thought of when I was 13 are just now coming out in videogames and I am 23, not because we didnt have the tech, because producers were lazy about thier games. Any help on what material I should use and where to find it would be awsome!
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and what kinda of paints should I get and from where?
colneher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the hobby!!!

for a large grass mat, you can use either green felt, or go to your local game/hobby or railroad store and they sell grass mats in 4x6 sizes. alternately, your can make terrain tiles ... much more laborious, but you can get nicer results. Do you want it portable, or a set placement. You could always make a permanent table (nicer but boringly STUCK in layout) by building one like the railroaders do. Personally, I go with a mat and make set pieces on tiles.

For paints, there are many types and styles. Personally, I get cheap acryllic paints from Wal Mart. I stain with water-based wood stains. Get good brushes though, or you will be cursing alot as yours fall apart.

Biggest thing to do FIRST is decide what you want it to look like, how flexible you want it to be, and what you want it to DO.

Best of luck to you, and again, welcome to the wide world of miniatures gaming.
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! My cousin came over with something called Warhammer and bought some paints so now Im really interested. But since Im more of a zombie freak I decided after painting a few ??Marines?? to bust out my ZOMBIES!!!...zombies...from the board game and painted the undead doctor. He turned out awsome! I love detailing them the way I see em in my head so its lots o fun. I did some research and www.woodlandscenics.com is a HUGE help! I will be building towns in no time, thanks for the advice btw!

Are there any new zombies coming out on this site, say Military undead or football player undead or HUNK the spec ops survivor from Resident Evil(hint)? just wondering
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean you stain with water-based wood stain??? is that like the final touch to make your mini stay perfect or something?
colneher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

staining is a process, after the mini is base painted, you cover it with the stain which recededs to the recesses and cracks ... so when it dries it adds shadows, etc. If you Warhammer buddy has been painting a while, he may be into inking ... which is almost the same .... I just found the waterbased minwax stain to be cheaper in the long run.

There are LOTS of ways to go about this, however many are easier to SHOW than to try to teach over text. Lemme see if i can find you an on-line painting tutorial ...
Black Sword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one. He does pretty good stuff:

http://kan.org/michael/mkp/
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got model car paint??? Is that ok?? It looks really nice on them, instead of just crummy looking paint my cousin brought over it automatically shines it when you paint so it looks shiny and glossy, its cool just need a different size brush ..just dont got the money right now.... Mad
thanx for the vid Im crackin out on the ZOMBIES!!!....wow there is alot of them, thats cool though leaves for mixing paints for a variety of color schemes.
S.T.A.R.S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That links uh..fields..battle fields?? Looked kinda plain, hey you guys remember in like what was it home'eck or whatever when you had to build the bridge or the house outta those wooden sticks to see how much pressure they could take?? Imma do something like that when I make my towns, like a rated R polly pocket horror mini house with all the features inside, hey guys check out that site I posted up above its awsome and cheap, I went to Micheals like hobby lobby store and they sold vynil green grass for like 16.99 for a 15x10 or something, yeah right I can get all my mini model town stuff off of www.woodlandscenices.com for WAAYYY cheap. 50x33' vynil forest green for only 11.99, 100x50' vynil for only like 15.99, all the trees bushes different colors of EVERYTHING its awsome guys check it out for yourself imma stop rambling...
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.worldworksgames.com they are a company that produces cardstock terrain. Their Urban Mayhem line is the Modern day setting. They have a railcar (subway car), a gunshop with garage and apartment, a junkyard, police station, marina, warehouse, mall, bank, flats set (flats are just the exteriors, no interiors). For the road and rail tiles you will need Streets of Mayhem, and if you get Bits of Mayhem you will get some vehicles and 2 gas stations. Other sets that include vehicles are Mayhem Police (police cruisers, SWAT van, SWAT Riot tank, motorcycles, helicopter, and a black unmarked police sedan), Mayhem Armory (the above mentioned gunshop, this set has a pickup truck), Mayhem Bank (a couple of different cars, taxis and an armored van), Mayhem Marina (has a tug boat that you can build to varying sizes, and a small motorboat), Mayhem Junkyard (a couple of tow trucks), and Mayhem Industrial (the warehouse set, this has a couple of semi-trucks).

Theres also a Charity set out, Urban Grind. All profits from this set goes to help offset the cost of the World Works Games CEOs nephews Dr. bills. Chase (the nephew) was diagnosed with Leukemia, and the WWG staff got together and released this set as a way to help his family with the medical expenses.

In addition to the Modern sets WWGs has some "Horror" sets that are Multi-genre. These include Shellendrak Manor (a creepy victorian style mansion), Wildwoods Grove (a cemetery with a small chapel), and Cathedrea Noctis (a very evil looking church). Both Cathedrea Noctis and Shellendrak Manor have retrofit expansions. Cathedrea Noctis: Requiem de-evilfies the set by including "good" religious dressings (these arent really any religion specific, just generalized good symbols). Shellendrak Manor retrofit is more of a simple expansion, this set includes new interior walls and floors along with a couple new colors to the roadster (vintage style limo) and a couple new colors for the carriage.

All of the Modern sets and most of the Horror sets come in 1", 1.5" and gridless formats (the 1" and 1.5" grids are on the floor and ground tiles, for games that require you to move x units of measurement, and the 1.5 inch grid is specifically included for players of Heroclix/Horrorclix or for those players who base their figures on bases similar in size to the clix bases.

As for paints, as mentioned the ones in the arts and crafts section at Walmart, or if you want actual miniature paints, I myself am partial to Reaper Miniatures Pro Paint line, and now their Master Paints line (these are in a dropper bottle and dont dry out as fast as other paints) after using a couple colors in it a few times. I also like the P3 paints by Privateer Press, though only have a couple of these colors in my selection. Your friend who plays Warhammer probably uses the Citadel paints by Games Workshop, these are good paints, I personally havent used them in a couple years since finding the Reaper Paints. Another paint line in Dropper bottles that I have heard excellent things about is the Vallejo Game Color line, though I havent been able to find these locally yet, and I dont quite want to special order them at this time just to try out a couple colors..

As for figures, you have plenty of options if you look, Josh (ZombieSmith) has a great line of zombies, and even some survivors/heroes. For other hero/survivor figures you can use Hasslefree minis, RAMF modern day heroes line, Reaper Minis Chronoscape line (not all are actually suitable, but they do have a nice selection that are). (sorry dont have links to these companies sites right now)

Just be warned this isnt a cheap hobby, if you actually get into miniature gaming, you will always be looking for additional figures that are perfect to represent Joe Shotgun, or Linda Sniper, or any other character you might have in the game.

Now for a nice zombie game you can try All Things Zombie by Two Hour Wargames www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/horror.html Currently he has the core rules and one scenario expansion out with a third one on the way (was delayed in order to release some other stuff that had been in the works longer). He also has available a couple set of tokens to go with ATZ for about $5 a set (each set has about 15 tokens in it). THW also has a horror rule set coming out soon that is supposed (rumored) to be compatible with ATZ, so you could play your Character fighting both Zombies, and Werewolves/vampires/any other monster, though with the Reaction System ATZ uses you can play it along with THWs sci-fi game 5051 with very little problems. One nice thing about the Reaction System is if you can do it in real life, most the time you can do it in the game, all you have to do is roll to see if you pass your dice and are able to preform the action. THW also has a great Yahoo group http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames/ , if you have any questions about any of the THW games and their rules post there and in most cases you will get an answer back withing 24 hours by the Game's Designer, or one of the many knowledgeable player (and in a lot of cases the Game Designer agrees with the knowledgeable player).
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.T.A.R.S wrote:
I got model car paint??? Is that ok?? It looks really nice on them, instead of just crummy looking paint my cousin brought over it automatically shines it when you paint so it looks shiny and glossy, its cool just need a different size brush ..just dont got the money right now.... Mad
thanx for the vid Im crackin out on the ZOMBIES!!!....wow there is alot of them, thats cool though leaves for mixing paints for a variety of color schemes.

Sorry about the double post didnt see this one of yours initially. You need to be careful of the model car paints, depending on the type you get you will need a special cleaner to clean the brushes since they may easily clean up with water. Not only that for most miniatures you want that non-glossy finish, are your clothes (for the most part) glossy or are they a matte (non-glossy) finish? How about the camouflage uniform for a soldier? in both cases the answer is a matte finish, for the soldier its because a glossy finish will draw unwanted attention to him on the battle field, for your clothes not everyone wants to wear vinyl clothes all day (vinyl isnt all that comfortable after a while, it gets real hot and you get all sweaty if you wear it for prolong periods of time). My best bet would be check out some of the paints i mentioned in my post above. You cant go wrong with Reaper Paints, P3 Paints. Vallejo Paints or even Citadel Paints.
TwoGunBob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little work, okay, a lot of work you can build up a decent town.

Now, I used Worldworksgames for the street tiles but the buildings are a mix of Plasticville, Lionel, and another few brands I can't remember...

Now, I went all out on the buildings and did interiors as well...

It's a bit extra that most people don't bother with but I rather enjoy having the buildings interesting both inside and out.

I'll say that starting out, there's nothing wrong with hopping down to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and picking up some Delta Ceramcoat or Americana acrylic paints as they are, above all, cheap and you can cut your teeth without dropping a lot of money. I used to scoff at the people that said cheap tools equals a cheap paint job but I have since moved into using Vallejo paints and a combination of cheaper brushes with good ones. A mixture for the job as it were. Terrain I always use the cheap brushes and paints on and still use craft acrylics in conjunction with Vallejo.

I'd say start out with a few basic colors of acrylics, some brushes that suit you, and start getting an idea about painting through experimentation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: