ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions/errata for War of Ashes: Shieldwall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talarius

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Questions/errata for War of Ashes: Shieldwall Reply with quote

Starting out with what I think are some legit questions. Then I move on to what are probably annoying copy errors that will only attract your ire, so apologies for those (if it makes you feel better, my local newspaper misspelled "victim" in huge print on the front page today). I haven't read the whole book just yet, but I'm getting close. Really enjoying it; can't thank you enough for publishing a new and wonderful book each year. I wish I had half your creativity and imagination!

Shieldwall questions

In combat: responding unit modifiers. Is the +1 bonus for being in base contact with a friendly model a separate bonus from the "Reach" bonus? Can a model benefit from both or only one?

Jaarl are weight 2. With a command rating of 4, a Jaarl commander would activate only two models to fight combat, correct?

Combat ritual: what is the difference between the -/- and 6/- results? They seem the same.

Disorganized units: can a commander spend Froth to negate a specific penalty like filling gaps despite being disorganized?

What happens to units that fall below minimum size?

When a unit with "Pressing Attack" or "Blood Lust" fights a unit with "Shields High!" or "Adapting Defense", who adjusts their dice pools first?

Errata:

the Fyrdee on pp. 95 & 161 are listed as equipped with axe & shield rather than spears.

2nd example of Adapting Defense on p. 54 is wrong. Bad math.
2nd example of Pressing Attack on p. 59 is wrong. Same exact math error.

Nhilde troll background. Did they send five ships or ten? Pages 92 and 100 disagree. Also p. 92: "In the year 74 BCG..." should read BGC.
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions/errata for War of Ashes: Shieldwall Reply with quote

No, this is great. Thanks! It helps us figure out which questions come up most often and helps us find the little niggling errors we need to fix. I appreciate it!

Talarius wrote:
In combat: responding unit modifiers. Is the +1 bonus for being in base contact with a friendly model a separate bonus from the "Reach" bonus? Can a model benefit from both or only one?

Reach is used when one fighter is directly behind another, facing the same direction. The +1 for base to base is for sharing a base-side with a friendly fighter and is in addition to any other dice tallied.

Talarius wrote:
Jaarl are weight 2. With a command rating of 4, a Jaarl commander would activate only two models to fight combat, correct?

That would be correct if the Jaarl command rating were 4. Its actually 8 and 16 as seen in their racial chapter. I think the confusion is when command rating is defined it talks about it being 4. We meant that in the context of the rules chapter only.

Talarius wrote:
Combat ritual: what is the difference between the -/- and 6/- results? They seem the same.

I agree this needs to be clearer. The -/- is for only those fighters directly activated with your command rating. The 6/- is for ALL friendly fighters in the combat, including those freely brought in because they are also engaged with targets of activated fighters.

Talarius wrote:
Disorganized units: can a commander spend Froth to negate a specific penalty like filling gaps despite being disorganized?

Yes.

Talarius wrote:
What happens to units that fall below minimum size?

You can spend a surge on them, but they also freely move in the Lull phase.

Talarius wrote:
When a unit with "Pressing Attack" or "Blood Lust" fights a unit with "Shields High!" or "Adapting Defense", who adjusts their dice pools first?

I think its supposed to be the player with the lead. Anthony will chime in.

Errata:

Talarius wrote:
the Fyrdee on pp. 95 & 161 are listed as equipped with axe & shield rather than spears.

Yep. Oops.

Talarius wrote:
2nd example of Adapting Defense on p. 54 is wrong. Bad math.
2nd example of Pressing Attack on p. 59 is wrong. Same exact math error.

Ooo. That one I hadn't caught.

Talarius wrote:
Nhilde troll background. Did they send five ships or ten? Pages 92 and 100 disagree. Also p. 92: "In the year 74 BCG..." should read BGC.

Cool. Thanks!
maccioniath

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Questions/errata for War of Ashes: Shieldwall Reply with quote

Talarius wrote:

Just goes to show, never believe anything a Vidaar tells you.
Black Sword

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Questions/errata for War of Ashes: Shieldwall Reply with quote

maccioniath wrote:
Talarius wrote:

Just goes to show, never believe anything a Vidaar tells you.

Laughing
Talarius

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. maybe it was deliberate!

Thanks for the answers, Headzombie. It sounds like spears are a little better in defense than I gathered at the con. Good to know!

I've got a few more questions:
Slightly confused about the Kuld, as they are so unique compared to the other races. When you choose an "Endless" banner, are you getting 16 Kuld models on 4 bases or 48 Kuld models on 12 bases? Whichever is right probably applies to all the other banners as well.

It's kind of odd that "Goola" is described as a specific character, but it's really a unit type. Not really a question. Sorry.

Looking at the Shudas, I sure wish the Sentians had invented ranged weapons! Again, not a question. *sigh*

Historical forces:
What is a Sigil for the Elvorix & Vidaar?
Which models make up a War Staff?
The Jaarl Stones of the Legion/Company: these are not Popios? What are they?

When do you plan to have musicians for sale? Smile

The fiction included in the book is great. I think my favorite is the one with the tree branch, although the Roccio story is also very good in a completely different way. Kudos, guys.

(Oh yeah. P. 103 "The Rabble". 8 Ulfyreee has an extra 'e'. Sorry! I'm a killjoy)
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talarius wrote:
Slightly confused about the Kuld, as they are so unique compared to the other races. When you choose an "Endless" banner, are you getting 16 Kuld models on 4 bases or 48 Kuld models on 12 bases? Whichever is right probably applies to all the other banners as well.

That's 48 on 12 40mm bases. I'd like to do some simpler resin ones in the future to save everyone a little money. of course our horde army ends up with the heaviest figures, even though they are shorter.

Talarius wrote:
Looking at the Shudas, I sure wish the Sentians had invented ranged weapons! Again, not a question. *sigh*

We needed something for the next book!

Talarius wrote:
What is a Sigil for the Elvorix & Vidaar?

Standard Bearer.

Talarius wrote:
Which models make up a War Staff?

The models in the command banner listings.

Talarius wrote:
The Jaarl Stones of the Legion/Company: these are not Popios? What are they?

Jaarl Standard Bearers.

Talarius wrote:
When do you plan to have musicians for sale? Smile

In the next few months. Going to do the Vidaar and Elvorix elites first!

Talarius wrote:
The fiction included in the book is great. I think my favorite is the one with the tree branch, although the Roccio story is also very good in a completely different way. Kudos, guys.

Thanks! maccionath wrote a fair bit of it!
Talarius

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for all the info! Very Happy Now I can get back to assembling the banners.
Talarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another question/errata:
Definition for Beserk on p.54 says the unit becomes disorganized at the end of the Stone, while the reference summary on p.164 says they become exhausted.

Which is it?

[Edit] Q2: should the Vidaar Totember & Tromik have the "Pressing Attack" ability?

Thanks! Smile
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disorganized.

Yes, they should have "Pressing Attack", Anthony get's a C- on the Viddar chapter and I get a C- for helping proof it.
Talarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I feel bad for asking my questions as I think the book is great. Really enjoy it. Also, my wife *is* an editor, so maybe it's rubbed off on me over the years.

Another question Attomos mentioned to me last night: Does a model with "Reach" give support to a large creature like a Ylark or Nhilde? (since those creatures are on 40mm base it would be understandable if the answer was no!)

Thanks again for the responses; I'm looking forward to playing and getting your answers in advance like this really helps.

Last edited by Talarius on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep telling you, don't feel bad. We need eyes on it to fix all of this!

Reach - Nope!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: