ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got in our first couple of games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tol Morn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Got in our first couple of games Reply with quote

I'm a Zombiesmith fan, and the War of Ashes line sucked me in immediately. Viking muppets! Can't resist that. I have the Elvorix starter army with a couple of extra Ylark (is the there anything the Ylark can't do?), painted with orange fur. I also have the Jaarl starter, painted with blue fur. Roman muppets, right up my alley as a heavy infantry fan.

I took the Jaarl, my son took the Elvorix.

Anyhow, they're painted and we ran a couple of games. We did the first scenario, the training one where you have a couple of banners grind on each other to check out the combat system. This was interesting and shows up the combat system as different. New ideas! The Jaarl edged out the Elvorix, but it was tight.

Then it was on to the 2nd scenario, where you actually get a real battle with four banners each (+1 Ylark). We're figuring things out, but it was also entertaining. The combat is interesting, the lack of certainty on how many surges you get, the froth, it's all cool and we give it a thumbs up.

The result was a Jaarl victory. Some lessons:
-the Rigenti are tough, mean bucks. It helps that their victims rolled crap dice, but those dudes are killers.
-can't report on the Valenti skirmishers, they disorganized in the Roar phase and never really got into the battle.
-the Ylarks should ram through an enemy formation in tandem, and try to take it out. Then they need help!
-Froth is an interesting concept, and the Elvorix really needed it to keep their spearbuck/linebuck formation viable.
-basic Elvorix against basic Roccio is a good matchup. Next time he's going to target the Rigenti with the Ylark and we'll see how it all turns out.

Again, two thumbs up. Cool figures, fun to paint, and a good game.
paint monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you enjoyed your games! You should post pictures of your minis.

And it sounds like you will have all you need when Shieldbash hits this summer!

questions? me too! ask away...
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second - pictures! Blue Jaarl sounds like fun.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: