ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jaarl and Atronians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldbash
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyYarick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Jaarl and Atronians Reply with quote

So for Christmas I asked for and received a starter for the Jaarl and True Atronians. Woo Hoo! As I get them painted I will post some pics and then maybe I can get a few games with some friends.

Until then I have a couple of rules questions( as does seemingly every one on this part of the forum).

In the Core Concepts shield description it says "Additionally, Elvorix, Vidaar, and Atronian fighters with Shields can benefit from a Shieldwall." Do the Jaarl and the Ki-Kaks not recieve the same benefit? Is this a balance thing? Fluff wise it would seem to make sense that any race that carries actual shields(Kuld being the only ones that I see that don't) would join their shields and make a wall. Especially the Jaarl with their strict discipline and racial ability.

As I was reading the rules I couldn't find any morale system. This would be okay, but in the ambush skirmish it talks about routing your opponent. Did I miss something? Or does it just mean that routing equals incapacitating all of your opponents?

Finally, this isn't a rules question but I still want to ask. What is the guys without a shield, only one sword, and arms at his sides supposed to be? As I see it, on the roster all of them either have two weapons or a shield(not including the musicians and rock carriers). I will be using him as a Valani or a Commandi( as I need one or the other to fill out a warband), but I was curious as to what he was officially.
paint monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jaarl and Atronians Reply with quote

CrazyYarick wrote:
Until then I have a couple of rules questions( as does seemingly every one on this part of the forum).

In the Core Concepts shield description it says "Additionally, Elvorix, Vidaar, and Atronian fighters with Shields can benefit from a Shieldwall." Do the Jaarl and the Ki-Kaks not recieve the same benefit? Is this a balance thing? Fluff wise it would seem to make sense that any race that carries actual shields(Kuld being the only ones that I see that don't) would join their shields and make a wall. Especially the Jaarl with their strict discipline and racial ability.

It is a balance thing. They get a little too good if the can wall up too. That and the fact that most Jaarl fight to increase their personal honor and glory when not in strict formation.

Quote:
As I was reading the rules I couldn't find any morale system. This would be okay, but in the ambush skirmish it talks about routing your opponent. Did I miss something? Or does it just mean that routing equals incapacitating all of your opponents?

Yeah, the second one.

Quote:
Finally, this isn't a rules question but I still want to ask. What is the guys without a shield, only one sword, and arms at his sides supposed to be? As I see it, on the roster all of them either have two weapons or a shield(not including the musicians and rock carriers). I will be using him as a Valani or a Commandi( as I need one or the other to fill out a warband), but I was curious as to what he was officially.

"Officially" he is a Commandi, but use him as you see fit. He is a cool commander pose so we didn't worry that he wasn't WYSIWYG.

Hope that helped. Sorry for the brief answers. I only have a couple of minutes today. Let me know if yo need more in depth answers and I can get them to you tomorrow.

questions? me too! ask away...
CrazyYarick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I get the balancing issue with the Jaarl especially since they seem friggin rock hard compared to the rest of the races and already have the best shields in the game come standard on most of their line troopers.

I'm not a huge stickler for WYSIWYG, just wanted to know about that cool looking little guy( and even if I was I could just find a little shield to put on him, which I might do to see how that would look).

Thanks for the reply. Overall, I really like the rules. They seem like a nice expansion of the SoBH rules without being overly verbose or complicated, but seem to allow for a little more flexibility and decision making. They also seem a little less random than SoBH, which is a welcome addition. While I love SoBH I think that those games can sometimes turn a little too easily with some good/bad dice.
CrazyYarick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Jaarl are done. Sorry for the crappy pic. I just took it with my phone. Generally pretty happy with them, but after I painted the Comandi and the Regenti I realized that I need more light when I paint because those came out rather sloppy(they were the first ones I did).

Now onto the True Atronians!

Edit: I color corrected the image a little to make it more true to life and made it smaller.
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them! The purple is a good color, and I really like that freehand wave design. Nice job, looking forward to the Atronians.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! As Twm said, I love the shields!
CrazyYarick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Been super busy and it's looking like it's just going to take me quite a bit of time to get the Atronians done Confused . Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to take better pictures by that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldbash All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: