ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netherworld's Edge scenery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Netherworld's Edge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BartThrall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Netherworld's Edge scenery Reply with quote

I'd love to see what people have come up with for scenery and terrain for their boards. I've read the descriptions of the different realms in the Netherwood and surrounds. Lots of room for a huge variety of themes.

One thing I could not determine from the lore in the book (maybe I missed it?) is if the anthropomorphic rodents, etc are actually scaled to be the size of rodents (like the Smurfs, Secret World of Arrietty, The Littles, or The Secret of Nymn), or if they are supposed to be the size of humans, etc. This would help with scaling things like leaves, trees, roots, mushrooms, nuts and berries, etc. And, if the scale is set to the former, are there humans (or something like them) somewhere else in the world...whose dropped/lost/stolen objects (like shoes, tools, etc.) could find their way into the Netherwood?
VisionVoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any direct mention that would answer the sizing question, but there are a couple hints. There is a mouse that has a small bird as a mount and there's a mouse village that trades dew. That leads me to believe they're mouse sized in a normal sized world. I'm just going to use standard terrain though. Tiny mouse forests - why not?
BartThrall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they mention harvesting honey and spider silk too... If they are small, would a house made from a mushroom be too Smurf-like?

I guess my main question would still be, are there humans (assuming the same technology and cultural level as the mice), whose 'things' might end up in the mouse world, like a boat made from a re-purposed mug, or a house made from a shoe?...maybe a fortified tower made from a knight's helmet, etc?
VisionVoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my personal tastes I'm steering away from throwing human sized stuff into terrain building. As you said - too smurf like for me. I prefer the idea of all the terrain being legit castles and buildings constructed by the mice just as if they were tiny humans.
BartThrall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think the mushroom house might be a bit much, but something like these might be cool on a board...

Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like veering towards discarded human stuff for terrain, but that's me. I'm considering some garden and aquarium ornament types of stuff, which can often be found for a decent price at craft and pet stores.

Some of the Fiddlehead Fairy stuff looks like good Netherworld terrain, to me.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
BartThrall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a chance to pose this question to Anton from Flytrap, as he is the main sculptor and creator of the Netherworld's Edge 'universe.'

"The lore and world has been designed around real life sized mice in a real human sized world. Humans exist in this world but the setting is deep in the forested countryside and the human interaction never becomes evident in the setting. So in answer, humans and human things would be giant in comparison...in fact they would be almost 1:1 in size scale and scope with the miniatures."

He went on to say, "The setting is earth circa 12th century so there would be medieval items laying about 😊."

So, I just wanted to say that Anton was an awesome sport for chatting with me about this and I'm happy to now have the designer's perspective on the game's setting. I now have loads of ideas for making some great themed terrain for Netherworld's Edge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Netherworld's Edge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: