ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kryst buildings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyskinner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Kryst buildings Reply with quote

I wanted to show you what I was thinking for Kryst buildings.

For the Kryst, I wanted to do something sorta middle eastern, and sorta like a pueblo, but with a similar fantastical feel. So I am experimenting with circular pueblo modular buildings. I started off trying cardstock, but have moved to 3D printing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VvUV6k2izTMAj6Ls1

I had these printed at the library, and the quality isn't so good, but they give an impression. I'd like to have one, two, and three story buildings shaped like these circles and crescents, and also a double crescent that can connect between two circle buildings.

The library charges 25 cents a gram, and these cost me $22.25. That means my whole system may be expensive. I cut cost by not printing the roof, just adding cardboard over a rim.

I've got door pieces that fit on it.

What do you think?

andy
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look great! I hadn't really thought hard about what Kryst buildings ought to look like, but I think these fit the bill very well. I wouldn't be worried about the print quality - the visible layers give the outer surface texture, whereas a perfectly smooth surface would probably have actually looked unfinished, IMO.

Shame it's pricey to print at the library, but they look really cool. Perhaps a similar effect can be achieved by cutting cylindrical containers like coffee cans to shape?

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
andyskinner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The library was much cheaper than shapeways or other places I looked. The one story levels will be cheaper as well.

I thought about cardboard tubes, but was afraid it would be a cutting challenge. I think the shape needs to be close enough to fit them together well. Also PVC pipe, but that would also be hard to cut and If thick would not nest well.

I found that magnets help hold the shapes closer. I wonder if that would work for the cardstock version I tried first.

The price probably isn't too bad, at $22.25 for a 3 story building and a 2 story. But I want 1 of each of 3 shapes of 3 story, 2 of each 2 story, and 3 of each 1 story building. I guess that would put this collection at $135.

Thanks

andy
andyskinner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another photo after printing a few more buildings. It is starting to show what I'm after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvEipa3wEUp86qQV2

Sorry about the link. I keep having arguments with Google Photos about putting the image into a forum. I have done it before, but don't see how now.

I need to glue in the roofs, then prime and paint. Also work on more doors.

andy
Omot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice designs. Link enough of these and you have a walled city.
andyskinner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I would like to have some kind of courtyard, but haven't designed yet.

I will have to add interest by putting stuff on top. I can't glue stuff on outside, because they wouldn't nest against each other. I wonder how hard it would have been to engrave a stone pattern into it. Maybe not that hard in a sculpting tool, but I used Tinkercad, which lets you add and subtracts basic shapes. It might have been hard.

I also wish I'd increased the resolution of the circles. They are divided up into 64 pieces around, but no reason I couldn't have done much smaller, to hide the facets.

andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Quar Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: