ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I grabbed some 15mm Quar second hand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakespear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: So I grabbed some 15mm Quar second hand Reply with quote

What rules work best for them?
andyskinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I've been doing 15mm Quar. I love the scale for doing terrain, but I'll admit I look admiringly on the 28mm figures on the store.

Have you looked here?
https://www.zombiesmith.com/collections/quar-rules

How many do you have? For a platoon or so, the old This Quar's War would work. When I tried it, I was thinking clumps of guys spread across opposite edges, and it wasn't that interesting. But I bet if I'd played it more like a WW2 platoon skirmish, I'd have liked it better.

I've been using Chain of Command, from Too Fat Lardies.
https://sites.google.com/site/skinnerandy/miniaturesgames/quar-chain-of-command
From there you can get files I used to represent Quar "platoons" (which I typically made between a section and a company in Crusader terms), and you can see a bunch of our scenery.

For smaller skirmishes, you could try A Rhyfler's Pocket-Book.
I've done a bit of Song of our Ancestors. I really like the Song of Blades and Heroes rules, on which it is based, though I think doing ranges as multiple of small measuring units gets old. SoBH is not mostly a ranged game.

I've been wondering whether Too Far Lardies' "What a Tanker!" would be fun for some tractor battles.

They do well with historical rules. I imagine things like Gaslight would do well, too. I've been tempted to get some 6mm and use with some boardgame rules, but I don't need any more projects.

andy
andyskinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, let me tell you why I like Chain of Command. The rules emphasize leadership (what leaders at different levels can do, what happens when they get hurt, etc) and morale. They have quite a lot that can help bring out the unexpected. You don't line your troops up on either side and start moving and rolling dice. You bring them in from Jump-off Points, which were placed by a pre-game step called the Patrol Phase. The JoPs represent areas where your units have gotten some control. The keep the other side guessing where you are going to come from. And they let you wait to bring in some units until later, which can be smart tactically.

Another bit of friction is the Command Dice. When it is your phase, you roll some dice that allow you to do different things. 1s let you activate a team, 2s a squad, 3s a Junior Leader (who may then activate a team or squad, and do a bit more), 4s a Senior Leader. You can add 1s, 2s, and 3s to get up to 4, so there is some flexibility. 5s give you a pip of a Chain of Command die, and when you get a whole one you can do special things like interrupt. Multiple 6s may let you get the next phase, end a turn, etc.

So there is much that adds to the story in these rules, much friction (you can't do everything you want), and much fun.

I think the Quar do well, though I still am not sure whether the Coftryan LMG should be more like a magazine-fed LMG or a BAR (in that it only needs one rhyfler). CoC does assume you need multiple crew for a LMG. And I keep going back and forth about how to handle the Ryshi.

andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Quar Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: