ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

half banner question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Attomos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: half banner question Reply with quote

Was looking at the rules for half banners. It looks like you add up all the bases and take half the total OR do you do you do halves of the reach troop type. So for something like the Kuld Clobberers banner I would need to take either:

a) 3 bases of the troop type in the banner any combination
OR
b)1 Marhn and 2 kuld (which is half of each troop type)

I ask because the book example makes it look like I can take the 2 Marhn as the half banner and totally ignore taking any stands of Kuld, which does not seem right.
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option B is correct.

questions? me too! ask away...
Talarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The example on page 29 says, "Commander Elantrix decides to take a half banner from a Common House. He may gather either five Linebucks and five Spearbucks, ten Linebucks, or ten Spearbucks."

... but if option B is how it is supposed to be done, then there is only one version of a Common House half-banner: 5 Linebucks and five Spearbucks.

Is that right? The example in the book is wrong?
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I shouldn't try to answer posts on my phone. Razz

Would you believe that both option B from above and the example are correct? They are. Here is why.

The example in the book is correct, yet lacking in clarity, because Spearbucks and Linebucks are not that different, and due to that similarity you can have more options available.

Options are why we included half banners. We want two people to be able to play with what they have at hand and have a fairly balanced game.

Option B above is correct because two Marhn are not equal to 4 Kuld, which we believed to be a given. With the Option A reading a Kuld player could take two Marhn and two Guldul and call it a banner. Hopefully they would only get away with that once.

So I guess it is a bad example if you are playing someone who would rather win than play a fair game. I don't play with people like that so it slipped past me.

Thanks for the catch though, we will include it in further printings and/or an eventual errata.

questions? me too! ask away...
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony is cursing me right now... I made him put the half banners in.

The goal of it was to allow people to play with the figures they own and allowing a half banner was an easy way to do that. My suggestion is to break the figure numbers in half and round up. You can never take two half banners of the same banner.
Talarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further explanation. Makes sense to me, although I can see how it's hard to write it out. You'd wind up with a laundry list of specifics: Half large creatures, half elites, half large hordes, etc. Difficult to write elegantly.
Attomos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mention that taking 2 Marhn and 2 Guldul as not viable half banners. I thought that was possible due to the example (thought it was a little odd and over powered) But put them in a list anyway which I showed to Talarius. Which sparked the discussion between Talarius and I about the half banner rule. Which eventually led to this thread. Glad that is cleared up.

Just to clear up option A we were under the impression would result in having to field 2 Marhn and 1 Kuld as a half banner.

So now as it stands I have 3 full Kuld banners.... Time to proxy till I can get the needed models. Sadly I have no extra Urkles or Kuld.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> War of Ashes: Shieldwall All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: