ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painted Zombies.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humphry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Painted Zombies. Reply with quote

Hi Josh (and everyone else on the forum),
i love the zombies! they are awesome!! I'm hoping this is a friendly place to ask a few questions.
i'm working on a project and need to find some Zombie Figures to inspire me, but i think Zombies ate my brain... i know i have no talent to paint them myself, and no patience to go with my no-painting-talent.
would anyone have any sudgestions as to places to get pre-painted zombie figures? anyone want to get rid of some, and paint new ones?

thanks for any advice!
cheers,
--Hum.
Ruthus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there sure isn't much out there for pre-painted zombies. (you could always buy a games workshop army off of ebay) Otherwise, I found Heroscape and HeroClix zombies.

Even if you feel you have no painting talent, you may find that it's not too difficult to do your own paint job that's better than the pre-painted plastics. (Especially if you keep the colors dark)
Humphry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruthus wrote:
...there sure isn't much out there for pre-painted zombies.

thanks Ruthus,
i spent a good chunk of the night trying to google pre-painted zombies, and you're very right, there just isn't much out there. they are even hard to find on eBay.
My favorite ones so far are definatly these ZombieSmith zombies.
i suppose i just might buy them un-painted and just live with them that way. they're still cool. just not as cool as how you guys make them. Wink

if anyone else has any ideas/sudgestions, i'd love to hear them too.

cheers,
--Hum.
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombies arent really that hard to paint. Prime them black and use a color like Reapers Ghoul Gray (there are others that you can use, this is just the first one that comes to mind) for the flesh (you dont have to get is on where it covers all the black in the nooks and crannies of the flesh area like between the fingers, it adds some depth to the figure) then you can quickly paint the clothes and other features (again if black shows through in the recesses its ok, it adds a little more depth, and you wont have to go back and use a wash id you want the effect of the depth), I have the Pop Zombie painted this way and in all it only took me a few minutes to paint (longer if you count the time waiting for the paint to dry).

When you do paint the figures i would suggest painting the flesh parts first, its ok to get it on non fleshy areas, you can fix this when you go over the spots where you over lapped with the correct color you plan on using. I will try to get some pics taken of the figures i have painted up so far (granted they arent completed yet since I still need to pick up some additional colors of paints)
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombies are easy to paint! Even mistakes look ok as they should be tattered and bloody.

I agree with Ruthus, horrclix and heroscape are your only real bets for pre-paints.
Humphry

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys.
i guess i'll try painting 'em meself. one order on it's way Josh! Wink
any sudgestions on brands of paints? favorite brushes? places to get them on-line? (it would be cheaper that way... right?)

cheers,
-Hum.
Orkdung

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try The Warstore

Paints, easily the best is Vallejo; Foundry line; Reaper. You really cant go wrong.

Neal is just as cordial as Josh; prices are cheap and shipping is FAST!
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphry wrote:
one order on it's way Josh! Wink

Will probably get them out monday or tuesday.
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphry- I primarily use Reaper Propaints. I love them, for me they go on smoothly and evenly, and they have a severed head in the pots to help mix the paint up (and yes they actually do have the cut off head from a pewter mini). I do also use some of the tempra(?) acrylic paints you see used in art classes for paintings, though I only use these since I was given a bunch of them for free, and I didnt see any need to go out and purchase any more of those colors (Brown, Red, Yellow, ect... all are your basic shades, none like olive drab green, midnight/navy blue, reddish-orange, ect... for those types of shades I will go with the Reaper Pro Paints).

I am looking at trying the Vallejo Paints, have been hearing great things about them. Also have been hearing great things about the Citadel paints (Games Workshop), and that in addition to now going back to the flip top lids they have been improving their paints so they go on smoother, and you dont need as much per coat. I also heard the Citadel Foundation line makes a great base for your colors since it uses a finer ground pigment them the normal Citadel paints, and as such it goes on super smooth, and using it you dont have to worry about you primer base showing through your main colors, resulting in the need for thicker layers.
Humphry

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphry wrote:
i guess i'll try painting 'em meself.

Thanks Ruthus, Eldorf_Dragonsbane, Orkdung, & headzombie,
i ordered some Reaper paints, and look forward to it all coming in. especially the Zombiesmith miniatures!
Ruthus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Post some pictures for us when you're done.
Humphry

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruthus wrote:
Post some pictures for us when you're done.

i'm getting there slowly... boy these are hard to photograph!
nurgledeathmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphry wrote:

...boy these are hard to photograph!

Tell me about it! Anyone have any suggestions on good digital cameras or any other tips?

Rally 'round the family..... with a pocket full of Quar....
PeteMurray

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Always use the macro setting on your digital camera and pay close attention to the macro focus length. For most digital cameras this means having the figure 8" to 12" away from the lens. Pay close attention to this distance, because if you're not in it, the lens won't focus.

2. Never use your camera's flash. Ideally you want two small spotlights on the miniature. When photographing I use two old desk lamps and turn the heads so they're shining parallel to the camera, directly at the mini. Be very careful lighting from overhead - this can cast strange shadows.

3. Use a tripod or support and your camera's self-timer setting so that the action of pushing the trigger doesn't move the camera when the picture is taken. Even the gentle push of the trigger can cause the camera to move enough that there's noticeable blur.

For steps 1-3, if you have more money than time, you can buy "product photo kits" from a good camera shop. They're usually marketed to people who want to put nice pictures of their stuff on eBay. For about $100 you get two good spotlights and a collapsible background box. If you have more time than money (like me) you can make your own background box out of scrap material and your spotlights out of old desk lights.

4. Learn to use Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP, or some other photo editing software to crop, resize, and color-correct your pictures.

5. Learn what White Balance is and how to set it on your camera. This shortcut can prevent pictures that have funny washed-out effects from interior lights. Florescent lighting is about the worst lighting you can have for photographing miniatures.
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you were all worried about painting...that figure is great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: