ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Quar or...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelydan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: To Quar or... Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm another newbie (I've done a search and there seems to be a bunch of them, must be catching!).

I'm new to Quar, Zombiesmith and all things tabletop wargaming. I used to collect and paint Warhammer figures about 20 years ago but never got into the gaming side.

I recently came across ZombieSmith via a tortuous route through youtube watching How it's made videos, leading on to aluminium moulding and finally gaming miniature casting videos and decided I wanted to start painting figures again. Then when I found the site I decided I wanted to actually play the game as well.

This leads me onto my real question, as a 100%, never rolled a die, complete beginner what would I need to start with to get a game rolling with a friend or two?

I'm quite interested in Quar but I also like the idea of the War of Ashes series (maybe ShieldBash as a starting point?).

I'd have to purchase enough figures for the complete game in the first instance but I'm pretty certain I'll have a few converts quite soon.

I look forward to your views and help,
Cheers
Dan (from the UK)
Billbartlett45

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful slippery slope of gaming. All you really need to get into the Quar is a skirmish starter set. It comes with all four rule books on CD and enough figures to get started with Song of Our Ancestors. From there you can build up to This Quars War. The minis are a joy to paint and, IMHO, the background is as compelling as Warhammer. Enjoy... Very Happy
paint monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Billbartlett45, the starter is a great place to begin. If you get two you will have plenty of figures for demos, and an extra rules CD to give to a buddy, or two. (or whoever wants a look) Cool

We also have the rules chapter for Shieldbash up on our site for free-

http://warofashes.com/files/Rulesbash.pdf

So you could get a taste for that system too. The "Bash" system is our current favorite, and it's what we will be using going forth.

Someone could read that as a new Quar book coming soon, but that someone would be jumping the gun a little. Rolling Eyes

ok, a lot, don't hold me to a release this year

questions? me too! ask away...
steelydan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies, very much appreciated! Now to decide which starter to get Smile
steelydan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd follow up and say that I bought two starter sets (Toulmore and Crusaders).

Should give me something to do for a while and hopefully enough to get a few games going.

Thanks for all your help
Mr. Average

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choices. More Quar are always good!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you have returned to the hobby. I am an old school wargamer ( from the 80s), but like you, I enjoyed painting the minis more than I did Wargaming. The Quar definitely have a very attractive allure to them, and I think Zombiesmith is on a real winner here. I'm glad that there are NEW people buying these minis, as it promotes the Quar universe, which is a wonderful thing. Sorry for waffling on.

Simply welcome back to the hobby!

Please share some photos of your painted minis.
steelydan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a somewhat hectic last 6 months I've finally found some time over this Christmas period to start cleaning up and assembling my Quar. I'm at the outlining stage for uniforms/colour schemes etc. and, before I prime, I wanted to ask some advice on bases.

I'm sure this has been asked before, I've never really got into the gaming side of tabletop miniatures but I'd really like to start with the Quar skirmish side of things, is there any specific issue with base size and shape for gaming? I was considering 25mm round bases but will need something different for the sniper.

I do have access to a laser cutter at work so I could make bases in whatever shape and size I like but I don't want this to impact the potential to game with my Quar.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_5hyh0DQq2/
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I have all of my quar on 25mm round bases, but think anything from 20-30mm bases are fine for skirmish games. For the prone sniper, I've stuck mine on a 25mm round base as well, but he does hang over the front and back quite a bit. You could probably put him on a 40mm round base or an oval cavalry base to accommodate the whole mini, though. You just might want to determine how you would handle movement, since end-to-end movement with a base that size might confer an advantage.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Quar Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: