ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storm of Steel book questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talarius

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Storm of Steel book questions Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I was nervous about approaching the Zombiesmith booth at Kubla this year, as I knew I'd get sucked into something cool AGAIN and sure enough the new Storm of Steel book delivers. I love the worlds you guys create and I think your rule-sets get better every year. I have yet more unpainted pewter to attack after this weekend, but it was inevitable the moment I shook hands and said, "hello." Wink

I've read the book and come up with the following questions, as requested. I've tried to be thorough, so if something I ask below seems silly I included it just to cover all the bases. I look forward to giving this skirmish game a spin asap. Very Happy

One gun type for the To'ok is missing stats. The Mam'pu Particle Gun

What is the range of a To'ok radio or an Ute'wehi scent? Do all To'ok in heavy armor have radios to receive orders? Do any of the To'ok Fencibles or Rangers have radios? (I assume they don't)

Does standing up from Prone cost any of the model's movement allowance?

Infiltrate chart refers to surges and stones, which are part of Shieldbash, but not mentioned anywhere else in Storm of Steel.

Killing Strike refers to opponent's armor value being ignored. Armor values aren't in the book.

Blaster(x): says you must perform additional ranged attacks within (x) distance of original target. Do you really do a full ranged attack roll plus firepower roll? If so, you could conceivably hit your first target and then stun the firing model by rolling badly on a subsequent "blast damage" secondary target, which seems a little odd. The more targets in the AOE, the more chances the shooter will stun himself. I would think you would just roll Firepower vs. all models in the AOE after hitting the original target.

In Scenario Objectives, killing an enemy creature = 1 point. What exactly is an enemy creature? Does this mean the Drahouin & Eichlings, does it include the Ute'Wehi bots? Something else?

Also in Scenario Objectives, it refers to Army Standards as Secondary Objectives and Standards as Minor Objectives. I don't think Army Standards are in the book; just the standard Standards. Wink

Also-also, it looks like you can take unlimited To'ok Knight Standard Bearers. If that's deliberate, then I approve. Otherwise, it was supposed to be (1)?

Defend!
They Shall Not Pass! minor objective: it says "each attacking unit". Does this mean each attacking model? A "unit" isn't a term used elsewhere in the book. This rule, btw, makes it a difficult scenario for the attacker, who *must* get all of his models into the Defender's deployment zone or probably lose. Do stunned models count for They Shall Not Pass? If so, the Defender just needs to stun 3-4 enemy models outside their deployment zone to gain 6-8 points; which strikes me as a very comfortable margin towards victory. (I have, of course, yet to play this game, so I could be off-base) <--- pun.

Seize the Prize.
Is the objective movable? If so, and I were the defender, I would send my entire force in one direction, overwhelming any enemies in that path, run away with the objective (with my fastest model) and let the time limit run out. Suggestion: stationary objective or limit the speed of the model carrying it, so that the dispersed attackers have a chance to catch up from the other parts of the board. (again, haven't played the game yet, so I could be wrong here)

Tales
Character Advances chart:
Gaining Hero special ability costs 150xp + Elite. What is, "Elite?"
I hope "Elite" is hard to achieve, as gaining Hero provides both Veteran and Hardened, while on the same chart, 150xp without Elite gains the character the Veteran special ability only. I'd go for gaining "Hero" every time, if possible.

Warband Advantages: can you buy multiples of these at a time, or once per advantage only?

Recovering Incapacitated Troopers:
first sentence refers to "discombobulated" troopers. Just as with Surges, Stones and Units, this isn't a term used anywhere else in the book. It's a fun word to say, though. Should say, "stunned"? Next, it refers to "Killed troopers." I can't see where any model is actually killed in the rules; they are always either stunned, wounded or incapacitated.

One of the To'ok Duke models is equipped with a hatchet or axe, but his Might stat is the same as all the other To'ok. Should it be different?

Good to see you @ Kublacon again, Josh. Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to Anthony this time around. :-/
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Though, I swear I remember some of those getting fixed!

Hey, Anthony, did we upload the wrong file to LS? Wink

We'll incorporate this and a few other notes then release this to the masses.

Thanks, Talarius!
paint monkey

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sir. We need to start sending the documents to you first. I will get you answers tomorrow.

questions? me too! ask away...
Talarius

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries; happy to help Very Happy
Talarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm re-reading the book this morning, as I have finally gotten around to prepping my SoS models for painting.

A few new things I've noticed:
(1)
p.4 paragraph 2 describes the To'ok and Ute'wehi as living on opposite sides of a mountain range, while paragraph 4 describes them as living on opposite sides of a river.

(2)
p.26 the first "To'ok Ganger" in the chart is listed as equipped with a melee weapon, but under special abilities has "Ranged(1)". This can't be right. I'm surprised I missed this the first time around.

(3)
p.6 Prone - "When fired on by his enemies, a trooper... already in cover that goes prone moves out of line of sight of the attacking enemy."

BUT... "A trooper may choose to go Prone when targeted by an enemy with a ranged attack... Prone troopers in Light and Heavy cover increase the modifier by 1..."

So, there's a little bit of difference between the two, as the target that goes Prone *after* being shot it is now out of LoS, while the trooper that goes Prone *before* being shot at is NOT out of LoS. This is an interesting difference, and I guess the main question I'd have about this is in the 2nd scenario would the target Prone model become out of LoS once the initial attack has been resolved?

If I find anything else, I'll post it here.
Talarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bonus for the Medic ability counted in addition to the +1 bonus for a model being adjacent to the Wounded fighter?

So, a fighter with the Medic(2) ability provides a +3 to the recovery roll? Or is it just +2?
paint monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that one. Sure, why not. Unless that makes it too easy. Let us know when boots hit the ground what works best for you.

Talarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I've got all my To'ok ready for primer and started assembling the Ute'wehi yesterday. This is a quiet part of the forum, but I am personally looking forward to painting these guys up and trying out the game asap!

I'd love to get some answers for the questions I've asked above... especially what the stats are for the Mam'pu particle gun?

Here are a few more things I've noticed in my hard copy:

p.24: both To'ok Fencible leaders have stats of "Leader(2)"
p.26 To'ok Ranger Leader has a stat of "Leader(2)"
p.29 Drahouin with bola & hand weapon has a Might of 2d7.

These are repeated in the reference charts in the back of the book.

Gotta get me a d7! Cool Wink
SpaceCowSmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I just downloaded my copy of Storm of Steel and was wondering what sized board folks are planning on using for the game. It looks pleasingly possible to play on smaller boards which is just the sort of thing I'm looking for and the background and sculpts are rather good too!

I may have to make a bit of a purchase while the sale is on!

All the best!
paint monkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a lot of the playtesting on 2' x 2' , but I have found running demos that a larger table is helpful. I would guess 4 x 4 would be optimal for most games.

SpaceCowSmith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for the info! I have space for a 3'x3' board so will see what I can do!
tberry7403

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.6 Prone - "When fired on by his enemies, a trooper... already in cover that goes prone moves out of line of sight of the attacking enemy."

BUT... "A trooper may choose to go Prone when targeted by an enemy with a ranged attack... Prone troopers in Light and Heavy cover increase the modifier by 1..."

So, there's a little bit of difference between the two, as the target that goes Prone *after* being shot it is now out of LoS, while the trooper that goes Prone *before* being shot at is NOT out of LoS. This is an interesting difference, and I guess the main question I'd have about this is in the 2nd scenario would the target Prone model become out of LoS once the initial attack has been resolved?

The first and second paragraph go together. If a trooper is standing and is HIT by a Ranged attack he will AUTOMATICALLY drop prone. He needs to make a SKILL test to avoid dropping prone.

I am not sure if they really mean HIT or just SHOT AT.

In the second paragraph, if a trooper is TARGETED the trooper may attempt to go prone before the HIT test is made. Since he is in the process of dropping he doesn't have the time to get completely out of sight.

I think. Wink
Talarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. My question is that once the attack is resolved, does the Prone model now become out of LoS as in the first case.

It seems to me that being shot at is what causes the target to go Prone, not actually getting hit. I know I'd drop to the ground if someone shot at me!
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Storm of Steel book questions Reply with quote

Sorry this took so long. But now, two books later, I have a second to answer these.

[quote]
I've read the book and come up with the following questions, as requested. I've tried to be thorough, so if something I ask below seems silly I included it just to cover all the bases. I look forward to giving this skirmish game a spin asap. Very Happy

One gun type for the To'ok is missing stats. The Mam'pu Particle Gun[\quote]

I think this got fixed on the second printing. It should be Fp 2d6+1, R 6, Assault.

[quote]What is the range of a To'ok radio or an Ute'wehi scent? Do all To'ok in heavy armor have radios to receive orders? Do any of the To'ok Fencibles or Rangers have radios? (I assume they don't)[\quote]

The range is the whole table, and only the knights have radios.

[quote]Does standing up from Prone cost any of the model's movement allowance?[\quote]

I have played it both ways. No penalty when I demo, penalty when playing with someone who knows the rules. So either works as long as you and your opponent are in agreement.

[quote]Killing Strike refers to opponent's armor value being ignored. Armor values aren't in the book.[\quote]

Left in from an earlier version of the rules, and fixed in the second printing. It should be as follows: Trooper may reduce his skill by up to -2 to increase the Might value of the successful attack.

[quote]Blaster(x): says you must perform additional ranged attacks within (x) distance of original target. Do you really do a full ranged attack roll plus firepower roll? If so, you could conceivably hit your first target and then stun the firing model by rolling badly on a subsequent "blast damage" secondary target, which seems a little odd. The more targets in the AOE, the more chances the shooter will stun himself. I would think you would just roll Firepower vs. all models in the AOE after hitting the original target.[\quote]

They are dangerous weapons to use for both parties involved, so, yes, roll for each.

[quote]In Scenario Objectives, killing an enemy creature = 1 point. What exactly is an enemy creature? Does this mean the Drahouin & Eichlings, does it include the Ute'Wehi bots? Something else?

Also in Scenario Objectives, it refers to Army Standards as Secondary Objectives and Standards as Minor Objectives. I don't think Army Standards are in the book; just the standard Standards. Wink[\quote]

Left over from before

[quote]Also-also, it looks like you can take unlimited To'ok Knight Standard Bearers. If that's deliberate, then I approve. Otherwise, it was supposed to be (1)?[\quote]

Should be limited to 1

[quote]Tales
Character Advances chart:
Gaining Hero special ability costs 150xp + Elite. What is, "Elite?"
I hope "Elite" is hard to achieve, as gaining Hero provides both Veteran and Hardened, while on the same chart, 150xp without Elite gains the character the Veteran special ability only. I'd go for gaining "Hero" every time, if possible.[\quote]

Should read Hero

Quote:
Warband Advantages: can you buy multiples of these at a time, or once per advantage only?[\quote]

Multiples

Quote:
Recovering Incapacitated Troopers:
first sentence refers to "discombobulated" troopers. Just as with Surges, Stones and Units, this isn't a term used anywhere else in the book. It's a fun word to say, though. Should say, "stunned"? Next, it refers to "Killed troopers." I can't see where any model is actually killed in the rules; they are always either stunned, wounded or incapacitated.[\quote]

Should be Stunned and Incapacitated. Left over from the source rules, Shieldbash.

Quote:
One of the To'ok Duke models is equipped with a hatchet or axe, but his Might stat is the same as all the other To'ok. Should it be different?

I would give him +2 to his Might

And in answer to your last post-

[quote="Talarius"]Agreed. My question is that once the attack is resolved, does the Prone model now become out of LoS as in the first case.

It seems to me that being shot at is what causes the target to go Prone, not actually getting hit. I know I'd drop to the ground if someone shot at me!

Yes the prone model is out of LOS for further attacks until he moves again.

eviljim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Starter set questions. Reply with quote

Could we get a rundown of what models come in the starter sets and add on sets please? I'm trying to figure out how many points each starter set is worth in game based on the stats given in the book. I'm trying to get roughly equal forces for each faction to take down to the club to demo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Storm of Steel All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: