ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Rhyfler's Pocket-Book Feedback/Qestions Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: A Rhyfler's Pocket-Book Feedback/Qestions Thread Reply with quote

Just thought I'd start up a feedback thread because Headzombie and company asked that feedback be given on the new Quar skirmish system.

Whether it is a typo, and clarity issue, or feedback on how well a rule does or does not work, I figure this thread could be used to discuss them, alt least until they want to make an official thread or something.
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question(s):

1). Range bands: pg. 6 says the -1 penalty is applied for "every full range band after the first", however pg. 13 indicates -1 is applied "for each full range band", and does not include the language, "after the first". Which is correct? If it's the first reference, a Harlech has no modifier up until 16.1", if we go by the second on pg. 13, it gets the modifier at 8.1" (quite the difference)
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2). Pg. 5, under point value, and how many of the "rare" units one can take based on Patrol size, we are told to look to the number in parentheses to see how many we "may gather for every 300 points spent on patrol."

Does this mean the amount one can take "up to 300", or does it really mean the amount "for every 300", in which case you could not take any of the units in a 250 point patrol game, because the threshold is not met?
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3). Prone Status: pg. 6 indicates if you are hit your model goes Prone and if you are already in cover, you go "out of line of sight of the attacking enemy."

It indicates that if you go Prone by choice, cover is simply increased by 1.

Does this mean if you are shot by enemy model A and you are in cover and drop Prone involuntarily, you out of Line of site for enemy model A only, or if enemy model B then activates are you protected by the no LOS from him as well? If not getting protection from but being "out of line of site from all attacking enemies", does it actually convey any benefit that the LOS goes away since a model may only attack once per activation?

Same scenario where enemy model A shoots and hits the model, it goes prone, and is in cover, if a Model B is allowed to shoot at him, since the no LOS is not a global condition for all enemy models, does the prone model get the increased negative 1 modifier fro bring in Prone and in cover, even though it's indicated that the bonus is conferred when going "voluntarily" Prone?

When it says the model may leave Prone status "freely on their commander's card," what does that mean?

How do they otherwise stand up, using 1action?
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.). Stunned- pg.7 it indicates that "additional stuns" force the model to make a free move away from the attacking enemy. I assume this move is at the reduced Prone movement? Additionally is the forced move still happen if the move away is from a position of cover to no cover?
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
My first question(s):

1). Range bands: pg. 6 says the -1 penalty is applied for "every full range band after the first", however pg. 13 indicates -1 is applied "for each full range band", and does not include the language, "after the first". Which is correct? If it's the first reference, a Harlech has no modifier up until 16.1", if we go by the second on pg. 13, it gets the modifier at 8.1" (quite the difference)

Every band after the first. For the Harlech that means -1 at 8.01 inches. Wink

questions? me too! ask away...
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
2). Pg. 5, under point value, and how many of the "rare" units one can take based on Patrol size, we are told to look to the number in parentheses to see how many we "may gather for every 300 points spent on patrol."

Does this mean the amount one can take "up to 300", or does it really mean the amount "for every 300", in which case you could not take any of the units in a 250 point patrol game, because the threshold is not met?

So you are going to get all technical are you?!? Razz

"up to 300" is the answer. So, yes you can take them in lower point games.

Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5). Pluck- pg. 8, is there a restriction of how much pluck a model can use each activation? Can you spend 1 to move the extra inch and then spend one to increase his Skill on the same model and activation? How about using 2 to move 2" extra?
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
3). Prone Status: pg. 6 indicates if you are hit your model goes Prone and if you are already in cover, you go "out of line of sight of the attacking enemy."

It indicates that if you go Prone by choice, cover is simply increased by 1.

Does this mean if you are shot by enemy model A and you are in cover and drop Prone involuntarily, you out of Line of site for enemy model A only, or if enemy model B then activates are you protected by the no LOS from him as well? If not getting protection from but being "out of line of site from all attacking enemies", does it actually convey any benefit that the LOS goes away since a model may only attack once per activation?

Dropping prone in cover takes you out of line of sight of all enemies that draw line of sight through that cover.

Quote:
Same scenario where enemy model A shoots and hits the model, it goes prone, and is in cover, if a Model B is allowed to shoot at him, since the no LOS is not a global condition for all enemy models, does the prone model get the increased negative 1 modifier fro bring in Prone and in cover, even though it's indicated that the bonus is conferred when going "voluntarily" Prone?

As above, the "no LOS" is global, B can not target if drawing LOS through the same cove as the original shot.

Quote:
When it says the model may leave Prone status "freely on their commander's card," what does that mean?

How do they otherwise stand up, using 1action?

It means when it is your turn/activation your prone rhyflers can stand up freely.

paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
4.). Stunned- pg.7 it indicates that "additional stuns" force the model to make a free move away from the attacking enemy. I assume this move is at the reduced Prone movement? Additionally is the forced move still happen if the move away is from a position of cover to no cover?

This one is up to you. I never bother to measure anything under four inches, so this has never come up for me.

Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paint monkey wrote:
Fenton wrote:

So you are going to get all technical are you?!? Razz

"up to 300" is the answer. So, yes you can take them in lower point games.

I know this is a narrative game for friends, not a steel edged game for tournaments, and am not trying to go rules lawyer on you guys, just trying to make sure I'm playing as intended 😄. I could see that perhaps if you are playing a 200 point, maybe you guys found that snipers threw off the balance in a game of such low model count or whatever, and really wanted a 300 point threshold.
Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6). Ranged Attacks- pg. 13, when "line of sight is obscured by intervening terrain: -1", does that mean straight -1, or is it a -1 for every piece of terrain that is intervening and obscures?

Should there be a rule to exclude the obscuring terrain within 1" of the Attacker or something, as to not have the shooter be penalized by the wall he is hugging up to (or wall he is standing behind but shooting over), for cover that would not interfere with his shot?
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
5). Pluck- pg. 8, is there a restriction of how much pluck a model can use each activation? Can you spend 1 to move the extra inch and then spend one to increase his Skill on the same model and activation? How about using 2 to move 2" extra?

Okay, this one I care about.

First, you can do what ever you want as long as your opponent agrees. That is the whole point of Pluck. You want to move 2 or more inches? Ask the guy across the table from you, not the idiot that decided writing rules would be fun. Cool If he agrees, go for it! If not, haggle or don't let him do something later in the game.

Second, I know this isn't the focus of the question, but I have since changed my intent on how you apply Pluck to missed skill checks and Might & Firepower rolls.

The intent is that if you fail any check in a game by 1 you can spend Pluck to make it a success, because missing by one sucks. This also prevents trying to Pluck a success from a failure greater than one.

I know it isn't that different, technically, but the above wording matches my intent better, and is how I like to think of the use of Pluck as a resource.

Fenton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7). Group Movement- pg.16, the model with leader can use both of his actions to have himself and a number other friendly models to "make a normal move or sprint move".

Is there a command radius or something, a max number of models that can take part, orr can it be any friendly models on the table and any amount?

Is the advantage to this skill that if you flipped a 3 card, you can activate the Leader model, and then he burns both actions to move himself and a couple other models, and after that, even though you can not use the models from the group movement, as they are considered "activated", but you still have the 2 activations left to activate 2 models not part of the move?

(If the models that took part in the group move actually counted towards the 3 you flipped, I would see no advantage to the Group move since you could just spend the point to activate them, and get a move and a shoot out of them)
paint monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenton wrote:
6). Ranged Attacks- pg. 13, when "line of sight is obscured by intervening terrain: -1", does that mean straight -1, or is it a -1 for every piece of terrain that is intervening and obscures?

Straight -1.

Quote:
Should there be a rule to exclude the obscuring terrain within 1" of the Attacker or something, as to not have the shooter be penalized by the wall he is hugging up to (or wall he is standing behind but shooting over), for cover that would not interfere with his shot?

See, to me this is the age old debate about true line of sight that I couldn't care less about.

Odds are I won't be at your table, so why ask me? Agree with your opponent on what the penalty should be, and if you can't agree, spend Pluck! (that is what it is for)

(For the record, I feel you should never get a penalty from something you are hiding behind. I would almost give a bonus for being braced on a low wall, but that would open a whole new can of worms.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Quar Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: