ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A very very deep question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurgledeathmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: A very very deep question... Reply with quote

I've been discussing zombie flicks with a co-worker lately and we've come upon a very difficuly question: just what is it about zombies (and zombie movies in particular) that make them so freakin' awesome?

Any thoughts from our fellow necro lovers?

Rally 'round the family..... with a pocket full of Quar....
Lowtardog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THey are us, they are the terror which was the Soviet union the next evil which needs to be vanquished...the big baddie of the new age, gone are the days of vampires, werewolves which only prey on small rural communities...we think we can deal with those but not a mass outbreak.

Also our fears are not supernatural-religeous any more rather SARS, Bird flu and super viruses are what the world fear
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are us. They are our base instinct to feed. They feed our fears of death. Not only might I die, I may come back as an abomination. Not only might my loved ones die but I may have to kill them all over again.

They are the perfect enemy. Relentless with no remorse or feeling. You kill enough Russians and they run. Not so with an undead horde. Vampires and werewolves have become 'grey' in their evilness. Not so with zombies. You need to kill as many as you can and they all deserve it. (Except in the Australian movie Undead, which I have now spoiled.)
Lowtardog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headzombie wrote:
They are us. They are our base instinct to feed. They feed our fears of death. Not only might I die, I may come back as an abomination. Not only might my loved ones die but I may have to kill them all over again.

They are the perfect enemy. Relentless with no remorse or feeling. You kill enough Russians and they run. Not so with an undead horde. Vampires and werewolves have become 'grey' in their evilness. Not so with zombies. You need to kill as many as you can and they all deserve it. (Except in the Australian movie Undead, which I have now spoiled.)

I love undead and as a result always carry a ball point pen and can of coke Laughing
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "Zombie Fear" has a couple facets to it.

One is the fear of death and the uncertainty of it, do we go to heaven, hell, are we reincarnated, do we just cease to exist, etc...

The other is societies ingrained fear of certain taboos, primarily cannibalism, Zombies "live" on human flesh.

Another is the fear of dead bodies, look at the number of people who while in a funeral home to pay their respects to a friend or loved one who passed on, stay towards the back of the room, and when they do go to the front where the casket is you can see them fidgeting about and staying up by the casket only long enough to say a few quick words of good by and glance at the body. Most people are uneasy around a corpse.
Kampfgruppe Cottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my zombie world they can run, can't die and only eat your brains. That spells total scary shit!

Oh, they also like old school punk!

Brian
nurgledeathmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampfgruppe Cottrell wrote:

Oh, they also like old school punk!

Brian

Who doesn't?

Thanks for all the replies everyone...the debate still rages. I see no one's pointed out that you must kill the brain to put the undead to rest. Makes them super hard to kill but also kinda zen... in an odd sort of way. Empty the mind so to speak.

What really blew me away the first time I saw Night of the Living Dead was all the socio-political subtext, ditto on Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later, but Romero's was so much more clever than anything I'd seen previously.

Rally 'round the family..... with a pocket full of Quar....
Eldorf_Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NurgleDeathMonkey- As Max Brooks states in World War Z, humans are nothing but a brain, the only sure way to kill someone to destroy the brain. For a living human that could be as simple as causing enough damage to send the brain into overload (sever cases of shock) or cut of a vital resource that brain uses (puncture the lungs so that they cannot draw in the necessary oxygen, stop the heart from pumping blood, or even cause a wound that causes the body to bleed out lowering the blood pressure enough to stop supplying the brain with resources it needs).

Now in your stereotypical horror zombie (dead body reanimating to consume human flesh due to one thing or another), they dont need oxygen or even blood flow in the body to function, something (usually a virus or chemical) causes the brain to function independently, controlling the basic motor functions, enabling the corpse to move and find humans to feast upon. As such if enough damage is done to the brain (remember the brain no longer needs oxygen, or anything else a living brain needs to function) then the zombie ceases to function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: