ZombieSmith Forum Index ZombieSmith

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a potentially misguided beginning...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Songs of Our Ancestors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Masta Cheef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: a potentially misguided beginning... Reply with quote

Hello,

I've only posted a time or two on here (instead I tend to be more of a lurker). However I've recently started a little collection of Royalists and thought I'd post them up with my thoughts on them. So here they are:

I've yet to actually buy the SoA (or any) rulebook, nor do I know of any players, but in the other mini games that I play I'm kindova 'fluff' guy. So in what I've gleaned from this forum, and also modifying someone else's banner (Orkdung's as I recall) that i saw elsewhere on here and likewise not seeing the unit I've listed below anywhere, I've come up with the:

57th Consolidated Catrawd, The 'Bleeding Line'
(9th Co. Standard)

The founding muster of Tok’s 57th Light Infantry are long since passed. Whether or not the 57th was punished for some battlefield failure, or simply got the short straw, no Quar knows. What is known is that the 57th is now the dumping ground of survivors from shattered, depleted and all but destroyed royalist units. Worse yet, the 57th is permanently tasked with the thankless job of going forward to ‘hold the line’ and then make an orderly fighting retreat, after more prestigious or simply intact regiments have already pulled back out of danger. Needless to say, losses to the ranks of the 57th (be they killed/injured/or captured) tend to be exceedingly high. However as the Crusader armies continue to slowly grind their way forward, the 57th Consolidated finds itself with no shortage of ‘transfers’ with which to fill its continually depleted ranks.

So, as I'm kinda just making this up as I go, with minimal instruction, does that seem to fit well within the Quar background?
Orkdung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my banner, I confess. HZ and Pete 1.0 came up with the design.

Love the theme! Have yet to see something like this! Great minis!

maccioniath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great! Only thing to consider working into the backstory is that Tok is the original Crusader state, so this catrawd has been around a long time, fighting in exile. That won't present a problem, fluffwise, though, so no worries. There's plenty of internicine warfare to go around on Alwyd, unfortunately...
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice-looking royalists and great little background to go with them! I really like the dark palette you chose for their uniforms.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
Lachlan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great backstory - very emotive - and beautifully painted miniatures!
austothehun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Cool
Da Masta Cheef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, the compliments are much appreciated!

Still have a few questions/ideas...

maccioniath wrote:
Only thing to consider working into the backstory is that Tok is the original Crusader state, so this catrawd has been around a long time, fighting in exile.

I have an idea that ought to fit that in nicely. I wasn't sure as it looked like Tok's (or is it 'Tokish'?) regiments appeared to be on both sides. I figured Tok became a conquered nation at some point. Need to ponder the wording on that revision a bit more though.

On the banner (with redirected credit to HZ & Pete), should the '57' (the triangles) appear as they are now, or would it be better to have them side by side? If the latter, reading left to right I would presume? Also I was thinking of reversing the colors so as to have the stripe be in red to coincide with the 'Bleeding Line' theme.

Also thinking on my theme...

I'm looking towards an eventual purchase of a 'cheese wheel' & I'm curious on people's thoughts on spaced armor. I know that the Quar technology level is roughly analogous to WWI, and spaced armor didn't really appear till WWII. I'm not looking for an in-game benefit (assuming tanks are even used in SoA), below is what I was thinking of...

Any Chyweethals that are unfortunate enough to get posted to the 57th are hastily equipped with 'backside plates' on the tank's forward facing along with a roof mounted, rear facing periscope for the driver. After such modifications, the Chyweethals make a mad dash to the front. Their chances of survival during their slow retreat are marginally improved with their newly up-armored 'backsides' facing the enemy. More importantly, they're be able to provide fire support for the rest of the slowly retreating 57th with their main guns, whilst moving in reverse! Amusingly, given the moniker of 'backside plates', it's never occurred to any other Quar regiments to add such armor protection to their advancing tanks...
bandit86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice welcome to the Royalist cause.
maccioniath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Tokish, and Tok was the first Crusader state. It was usurped (at least according to you royalist types) by Alykinder. A lot of the general history of the Crusade and Alykinder is here on the forums, it just takes a while to get through it all. Orkdung's stickied compilation 'Quodds and Quends' thread either has it in there or links to it.

That being said, there are plenty of blank spots and grey areas on the Continent to develop to fit to your own designs. So feel free to make Tokish royalists or Coftyran Crusaders if you feel like it! Just make sure to take plenty of pictures!
Da Masta Cheef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccioniath wrote:
It was usurped (at least according to you royalist types) by Alykinder.

That's more or less the angle I was pursuing. Here's my updated fluff along with the cheese wheel addition:

The 57th is believed to have originally been a Tokish guard catrawd that mutineed and then switched sides after Aklinder’s reorganization of the unit into a light infantry catrawd. However due to the mutiny, the 57th never gained the trust of royalist generals. Unfortunately all of the supposedly mutinous Quar of the later renamed 57th Consolidated Catrawd have long since passed. Whether or not the mutiny actually happened, or the 57th simply got (and kept) the short straw during a long forgotten retreat is something that no living Quar knows.

What is known is that the 57th is now the dumping ground of survivors from shattered, depleted and all but destroyed royalist units. Worse yet, the 57th is permanently tasked with the thankless job of going forward to ‘hold the line’ and then make an orderly fighting retreat, after more prestigious or simply intact regiments have already pulled back out of danger. Needless to say, losses to the ranks of the 57th (be they killed/injured/or captured) tend to be exceedingly high. However as the Crusader armies continue to slowly grind their way forward, the 57th Consolidated finds itself with no shortage of ‘remnants’ with which to fill its continually depleted ranks.

Any Chyweethals that are unfortunate enough to get posted to the 57th are hastily equipped with 'backside plates' on the tank's forward facing along with the addition of a roof mounted, rear facing periscope for the driver. After such modifications, the Chyweethals make a mad dash to the front. Their chances of survival during their slow retreat are marginally improved with their newly up-armored 'backsides' facing the enemy. More importantly, they're be able to provide fire support for the rest of the 57th rearguard with their main guns, whilst moving in reverse! Interestingly, given the moniker of 'backside plates', it's never occurred to any other Quar regiments to add such armor protection to their advancing tanks...

Here is the reversed color battle standard, which I like more than the original:

I think I'll leave the triangles in their vertical position, as I tried several variations with them side-by-side, but to no avail. I didn't like any of them. The standard will be made into a flag for an eventual standard bearer, as well as decals for the planned cheese wheel.
headzombie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaced armor is completely appropriate.

Nice minis.
Da Masta Cheef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Crusader Twm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fluff - I like the inverted colors on the banner better as well.

"I suppose I have mixed feelings about seeing cute edentates engaged in trench warfare."
Da Masta Cheef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more unfortunate recruits for the 57th arrived today!

Wink
Orkdung

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZombieSmith Forum Index -> Songs of Our Ancestors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: